Technology today can ensure a patient’s medication history is readily available to each member of a healthcare team. No longer must pharmacists decipher hand-written prescriptions to guarantee their patients get appropriate medications.
A Drug Information System (DIS) enables access to a patient’s complete medication history, no matter who wrote the prescription or where a prescription was dispensed. When a patient is treated by multiple care providers, a DIS can help care providers to:
- Access consolidated prescription histories
- Ensure appropriate drug treatment and reduce costs associated with over use of inappropriate use of medications
- Flag potential drug interactions and other contraindications
- Diminish prescription drug abuse
- Report adverse events to the agencies responsible
Gevity experts have aided numerous DIS projects, from standards development / refinement, to requirements, design, development, conformance / quality assurance testing and deployment.
Michael van Campen, Executive Managing Partner, Information Technology Services Division